Slow Cooker Reuben Dip & Sheboygan Baked Beans

This past weekend Hubby and I went to Roanoke to go to Tech's Homecoming with my parents and brother and my dad's fraternity brothers (go Hokies!). Every time we go to a game, I try to bring a few things for the tailgate so my mama doesn't have to do all the cooking herself. This game I brought a Reuben dip that I got from a recipe I pulled off of Allrecipes.com and baked beans that Hubby and I had seen Sandra Lee make on the Food Network. The Reuben dip was a huge hit. The beans were good, but they didn't get as thick as I would've liked for them to (thus causing some spillage in the car and ruining a fabulous pair of shoes).

Slow Cooker Reuben Dip

1 (14.5 oz) can of sauerkraut, drained
1/2 cup thousand island dressing (I used fat free)
1 (8oz) block of cream cheese (I used fat free)
2 cups of chopped cooked corned beef (I got 3/4 lb of shaved corned beef from the deli and chopped it and put in the saute pan to cook it up - 1/2 lb would do just fine)

Put all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 1 1/2 hours or HIGH for 45 minutes. Serve with fritos or cocktail rye slices.

Sheboygan Baked Beans

4 slices bacon, chopped
1 medium red onion, diced
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 (28-ounce) cans baked beans (recommended: Bush's Original)
1 (12-ounce) bottle root beer

Place a large pot on grill or side burner over medium heat, cook bacon long enough to render fat, and bacon starts to get crispy.

Add chopped onion to bacon fat and cook until soft. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to boil, and then reduce heat to low and cover.

Simmer for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour depending on desired thickness.

Comments

  1. WHY would you make one of Sandra Lee's horrid recipes? NO ONE, I MEAN, NO ONE, should be allowed to get away with the ghastly things she does to food. She put root beer in those beans, which were redundant to begin with. They were runny 'cause she used canned baked beans instead of pinto or white northern beans. Dried or canned, had she used those, sans root beer, it would have been a better dish.

    I have made that Slow Cooker Reuben Dip, and people just love it! It has the taste of a Reuben sandwich, minus the fat, greasy butter and oil.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment