Pecan Crusted Chicken

I also made this on Thursday night to go with the the ale & cheese risotto. I got this recipe from an email newsletter from Red Book Magazine. I really like the taste of this. It was different, and a great change of pace from the chicken we normally have. However, I don't think the proportions were correct in the recipe, because the coating was barely enough to cover 3 of the chicken breasts, much less 4, so I ended up having to pretty much just do panko on the 4th chicken breast.

Pecan-Crusted Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup pecans (I would use 1 - 1 1/4 cup next time)
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 egg whites
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 tbsp oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Pulse pecans, bread crumbs, thyme, salt & cayenne pepper in a food processor until nuts are finely ground. Transfer to a sheet of wax paper.

In a small bowl, whisk egg whites & cornstarch.

Dip chicken breasts in the egg white mixture, then in the pecan mixture to coat.

Heat oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet (I used cast iron) over medium-high heat. Add the chicken & brown 2-3 minutes per side - or until lightly browned.

Place skillet in oven and bake until cooked through.

Comments