Baked Stuffed Mushrooms with Crab


I have had this recipe forever, but it has sat in one of my large recipe binders untouched. I had leftover crabmeat from the Crabmeat-Parmesan Quiche I had made the night before and thought I would give this a whirl. I had found this recipe on Epicurious, and it is a recipe from the September 2002 issue of Bon Appetit.

These were pretty good. I really like the recipe overall, but next time I would use slightly less mayo and I would add some red pepper flakes or some hot sauce. But that's just me - Hubby and I like things spicy!

I halved this recipe exactly, but below is the full recipe, not halved. I found that even with halving the sauce there was an overabundance of sauce left over. And I was generous with the sauce on each mushroom. Next time I make this even if I make the full recipe, I would halve the sauce.

Baked Stuffed Mushrooms with Crab

2 large eggs
1 heaping tablespoon plus 1 cup mayonnaise (I use olive oil mayo)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound crabmeat
1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
24 large mushrooms (each about 2 inches across), stems removed
2 tablespoons half and half
1 teaspoon crab boil seasoning (Old Bay)

Butter 10x15-inch baking dish. Combine 1 egg, 1 heaping tablespoon mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in medium bowl; whisk to blend. In another medium bowl, combine crabmeat and breadcrumbs. Pour egg mixture over crab mixture and mix gently.

Stuff mushroom caps with crab mixture, mounding in center and pressing gently to adhere. Arrange stuffed mushrooms in prepared dish. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F. Bake until mushrooms begin to release juices, about 18 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk remaining egg, 1 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and half and half in small bowl. Remove mushrooms from oven and drizzle each with sauce, then sprinkle with crab boil seasoning. Bake until mushrooms are tender and sauce thickens slightly, about 8 minutes. Serve hot.

Comments