Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli


This is another one of those recipes that I've had around for a few years and just never got around to making it. So yesterday I had set out chicken breasts and had no idea what I wanted to do with them. I didn't wantto stuff them or grill them and then I came across this little gem

I tweaked it just a bit. The original recipe called for chives and I had none, so I substituted green onion. I used a whole wheat hamburger bun instead of 2 piece of whole wheat bread from a loaf. I also added more seasoning because Hubby and I tend to like spicier things.

We both really liked these. They are light, but flavorful. They are also super easy.

Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli
Adapted from Cooking Light

Cakes:
2 (1 1/2-ounce) slices whole wheat bread or 1 whole wheat hamburger bun
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
1/4 cup chopped green onion
3 tablespoons olive oil mayo
1 1/2 teaspoons blackening/jerk seasoning (I used some we picked up in St. Maarten)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons olive oil

Aioli:
2 tablespoons olive oil mayo
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon salt

To prepare cakes, place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 cup (discard remaining breadcrumbs). Set breadcrumbs aside.


Place chicken in food processor; pulse until ground. Combine chicken, green onion, 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt, egg whites, and breadcrumbs in a medium bowl; mix well (mixture will be wet). Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done.

To prepare aioli, combine 2 tablespoons mayonnaise and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with cakes.

Comments