Baked Flounder with Tarragon & Fennel-Seed Butter

It's Lent and for Hubby & I, that means no meat on Fridays - just seafood. Our go to seafood is usually shrimp. Hubby loves them. I really think he could eat them every day. So, I'm trying to break us out of our box and bought some flounder.
I found this recipe in The Bon Appetit Cookbook. The original recipe calls for cod, but I figured why not try it with the flounder I already had. I also halved the recipe, which worked just fine.

The herbed butter concoction is not so much a sauce, but forms a very flavorful crust on the fish. I served this with simple roasted new potatoes. We really enjoyed this!

Baked Flounder with Tarragon & Fennel-Seed Butter
Adapted from The Bon Appetit Cookbook

6 tbsp butter
2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
1 tbsp grated lemon peel
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
6 flounder fillets (or any other mild tasting fish)
lemon slices, to garnish
fresh tarragon sprigs, to garnish

Stir butter, chopped tarragon, fennel seeds, lemon peel and lemon juice in a small saucepan over low heat until butter melts.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Arrange flounder on a rimmed baking sheet; brush all of butter mixture over.  (Can be prepared up to 8 hours ahead of baking. Cover and chill).

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 450 degrees.  Bake flounder uncovered until just opaque in center, about 12 minutes.  Transfer to plates.  Garnish with lemon slices and tarragon sprigs and serve.

Comments