Brown Sugar Brussel Sprouts

Hubby & I love the Fresh Market. We love their meat department, cheese selection, deli and produce departments (I'm sure I am missing a few things). I also like that they have a weekly flyer that not only contains the week's specials, but recipes, wine pairings and other tidbits of useful information.

During the holidays in one of the flyers that I picked up was this recipe for brussel sprouts. We love balsamic vinegar, and who doesn't like brown sugar? So this was kind of a no-brainer side for us.

These were delicious! I used a steamer basket, which made the steaming super easy. Next time, I will probably leave them in the pan longer with the brown sugar & balsamic to get the brussels more carmelized. I also think using a cast iron pan will be the way to go as well.

Brown Sugar Brussel Sprouts

1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved
1 tablespoon, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons salt (or more to taste)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Steam Brussels sprouts over boiling water until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Heat oil and garlic over medium-high heat until fragrant, being careful not to burn. Add Brussels sprouts, lemon juice, pepper flakes and salt, stirring until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar, stir for a minute and remove from heat, serve immediately.

Comments