Chicken Cacciatore Risotto

I was looking for recipes a few weeks ago that would be great one dish meals for weeknights.  I came across this recipe on the blog Pink Parsley. It looked delicious, and I knew Hubby would love this spin on Chicken Cacciatore. I also hadn't made a risotto in quite awhile, so I put this on my list of dishes to make.

This was easy to make, and I found that my prepping ahead of time made things go alot easier. I find that good prepping is important, especially when making a risotto that requires constant attention.


With this recipe, I actually went ahead and after cooking the chicken, shredded it. I'm a slow shredder and I knew that it would be in my best interest to get that done before starting the risotto.  Same for the chopping and mincing of all the vegetables.

This was a great meal, that we both really enjoyed.  The herbes de provence really came through in the dish and I loved the mushrooms and the strips of red bell pepper. The red wine also gave the risotto a fun reddish purple color.

Chicken Cacciatore Risotto

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat (I used boneless skinless breasts)
2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup arborio rice
3/4 cup red wine
3 cups chicken broth
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
6 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
fresh parsley, minced

Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and Herbes de Provence. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add the chicken and cook 5-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside.

Add 1 Tablespoon of the butter to the skillet. When melted, add the shallot, and cook until softened, 3 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock and diced tomatoes to a simmer. Cover and allow to simmer continuously.

Add the rice to the skillet, and cook, stirring continuously, until the edges are translucent. Decrease the heat to medium-low. Add the red wine, and stir continuously, until it is mostly absorbed.

Working 1-2 ladles at a time, add the chicken broth/tomato mixture to the rice, stirring constantly, until almost all the liquid has been absorbed. After about 12 minutes, add the peppers and mushrooms to the rice mixture.

Continue adding liquid until the rice is cooked to al dente, about 20 minutes total. Taste to check doneness. When cooked to al dente, add 1 more ladle of chicken broth, and remove from heat. Stir in the remaining Tablespoon of butter, Parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley.

Shred the chicken into bite sized pieces, and add to the risotto. Divide evenly among serving plates, and top with more cheese and parsley. Serve immediately.

Comments