Indian Ground Beef & Potatoes (Keema Alu)

As much as I love cooking, there are times when I am tired and so much is going on, that I just need something quick and easy.  I try to keep a few of these types of recipes on hand so that if I get in a bind time-wise, I can come up with something fast that doesn't require a zillion special ingredients.

I found this simple and delicious recipe over at Rainforest Recipes by using Food Blog Search.  This food blog is the creation of a Canadian  currently living in the jungles of Guatemala.

We both really enjoyed this simple meal. It was very warm and comforting - without all of the guilt of typical comfort food.  The Husband remarked that he was "really glad we're making more ethnic food". Haha :)  What's even better is how incredibly easy this was to make. If you're in hurry, but want to put a home-cooked meal on your table, THIS is the dish for you!

As always, I used ground venison in place of ground beef (it's a leaner alternative). 

The recipe calls for serving this with naan or pita, which though I am sure would be excellent, we are trying to be healthier and stay away from bread, so I served this by itself.  The recipe also suggests garnishing with cilantro, which I did, but I also drizzled Sriracha over top and put a small dollop of sour cream (fat free) on each. 

Indian Ground Beef & Potatoes (Keema Alu)

Serve this dish with some Indian naan or pita bread, or spoon it over rice for an easy one-dish meal.

3 Tbs clarified butter, or vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 -4 cloves garlic ; finely chopped
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tsp ground turmeric
Cayenne, to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 lb ground beef (I used venison)
1/2 cup chopped canned tomatoes, drained (I used fresh tomatoes)
1 lb potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 cup water
Cilantro, chopped

Heat the ghee in a large heavy skillet over moderate heat and saute the onion, garlic, and seasonings until the onions are tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.

Add the beef and tomatoes and cook, breaking up the beef with a spoon, until the beef is browned and all the liquid had evaporated, leaving only the ghee. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.

Add the water, reduce the heat, and simmer covered until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Increase the heat, remove the cover, and cook until all the water has evaporated. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro. Serves 4 to 6.

Comments

  1. WOW this looks good and easy. It's now another recipe on my "to cook" list.

    Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made this with ground buffalo (another leaner alternative to beef!) and it comes out delicious every time. I also like to put a lot of hot peppers in mine.

    I'm thinking about adding more beef broth and tomatoes, to make it into sort of a stew...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i will try this recipe as it tastes very delicious and plus it is helathy asyou only need to bake it.

    Harold Burton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this recipie, I made this tonight, and it was amazing!! I am am going to freeze the leftover miso mixture in an ice cube tray for easy measurement in the future. For soft boiled eggs place eggs in 1″ boiling water, cover and cook for 6 minutes exactly, and they come out perfectly. Thanks again.Joseph Donahue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful!! I’ll have to try this on weight watchers :). I love spaghetti squash so I usually poke a hole in it and cook it in the microwave about ten minutes. That gets it half way done. Then I finish by roasting it cut side down in the oven because it has better flavor!!
    Kelly Hubbard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome list! �� Homemade is always best. I’m slowly replacing everything “store-bought” from my weekly repertoire with homemade. Something I’ve not yet tried making is cheese though. And yogurt! Next on my list ��
    Jayme Silvestri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your article, it was very helpful and successful. 7f6990242e6728d0d213b8be24bc31a8
    numara onay
    website kurma
    website kurma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your explanation, very good content. a269e1b3030b78343fa33ac852516b30
    altın dedektörü

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crock pot food is awesome because it takes minimal management to cook! :) Thanks for sharing all these recipes. Looks delicious.
    Paul Brown

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment