Roasted Sweet-Potato Salad

As Thanksgiving approaches, sweet potato recipes are more than plentiful.  I'm a converted sweet potato fan.  Up until recently though, I'd never done anything with them other than bake them or use them for these delicious sweet potato biscuits.

Sweet potato casseroles are definitely out of the question - I despise the combination of sweet potatoes and marshmallows! But when I came across this recipe, it jumped at me because it used sweet potatoes in a way that I hadn't seen them used before.  And I knew it would be the perfect carb-y (yes, I know that's not really a word!) side for our Thursday night football tailgate.


All I can say is wow! I'm in loooove with this recipe! It was such a hit at our tailgate.  Even those that aren't big sweet potato eaters, really enjoyed this.

The flavors are fantastic and all of the different textures play so well together.  And I'd be remiss if I did not mention that this is a healthy salad as well! This is not a mayo based potato salad.

This recipe is such a fun and different way to use sweet potatoes.  I will definitely be making this salad again in the very near future!

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
Adapted from Redbook

4 pound(s) sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 teaspoon(s) salt
1 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
3 1/2 tablespoon(s) canola oil
1/3 cup(s) fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard
1 clove(s) garlic, crushed through a press
1 teaspoon(s) toasted sesame oil or roasted peanut oil
6 scallions, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/3 cup(s) roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup(s) cilantro, chopped

Heat oven to 425F. In a large, heavy roasting pan, toss potatoes with 1/2 tsp each of the salt and pepper, and 1/2 Tbsp of the canola oil until evenly coated. Roast 30 to 40 minutes, stirring potatoes every 10 minutes, until potatoes are lightly browned and tender. Cool in pan to room temperature.

In large serving bowl, whisk remaining 1/2 tsp each of the salt and pepper, remaining 3 Tbsp of the oil, lime juice, mustard, garlic, and sesame oil until combined. Add potatoes and remaining ingredients. Gently toss salad with large spoon until evenly dressed, being careful not to smash the potatoes.

Comments