Another French Bread Recipe

The Wife wanted something vegetarian for dinner tonight, so soup seemed like the natural go to, especially with the rain. I decided on a cream of mushroom soup (I've been craving that ever since I had it at Aziza's and they haven't had it back on the menu).
Now, I needed a bread to go with the soup. I've had the blog Kiss the Cook bookmarked for some time. It's one I came across a year or so ago and had some great recipes. I remembered liking the breads she had on there, and immediately went there for inspiration. I found her One Hour French Bread and decided to give it a whirl.

Ingredients:
1 Packet of Active Dry Yeast
1 Tablespoon Honey
1 1/2 Teaspoons of Salt
1 1/2 Cup Warm Water
3-4 Cups Flour (I used about 3 1/2)

Directions:
Combine the yeast, honey, salt and water in a bowl and stir to combine. Let this sit for about 5-10 minutes until it starts to bubble (that'll be the yeast coming alive.)


Add the flour (start with three cups and go from there). I used our stand mixture with the dough hook to mix, but you can do it by hand. Keep adding flour until the dough is no longer sticky - for me that was about 3 1/2 cups.

Roll dough into a 12-14 inch long strip, cover with a warm damp kitchen towel or thick paper towel and let rise in a warm place (like your kitchen counter top) for 30 minutes.


This was the perfect amount of time for The Wife and I to run to the new Cookout and get milkshakes.

Preheat your oven to 375 and when ready, place your dough in and bake. She calls for 20-20 minutes, but for me it was closer to 40 minutes.


Let cool and enjoy!


I brushed with homemade black truffle butter and broiled to serve with the mushroom soup (recipe to follow).

Comments