Hawaiian Ribeye Marinade


The parents set sail from Ft. Lauderdale yesterday to Caribbean islands and tropical climates. As I sat in my Shockoe Bottom office looking out over the cold dreary Richmond afternoon, I wished The Wife and I were shoving off for parts unknown.

Thanks to the handy dandy webcam, I could watch their ship sail out of Port Everglades - yes I'm a glutton for punishment, as it was a balmy 38 degrees in Richmond yesterday. Watching their ship set sail - Jimmy Buffet came to life in my mind Mother, Mother ocean.... and while we couldn't leave town, we could gastronomically (I know that's not a word - but isn't it in a foodie lexicon?)

We had several ribeye's that we had vacuum sealed from the whole ribeye we had procured from Tom Leonard's the previous week. I dialed up the wife and asked her ever-so-kindly to set it out to defrost and went about finding a tropical marinade.

Being a culinary couple has it's advantages. I always have a willing sous chef. I came across this recipe with a cursory search of Google and sent to The Wife as a template, begging her assistance.

No problem she said, and when I got home from work, all I had to do was fire up the grill and enjoy the martini she had waiting...God bless her.

The marinade turned out to be exactly what I was hoping it would be. It was sweet - something that stayed with the meat, even when slicing thinly. It was flavorful without being syrupy - and for a night, at least, we were whisked away from the cold weather here.

This would also be a great sauce for ribs, chicken, any other slow cooked meat aside from being a marinade. Make the margaritas, put the meat in this marinade and kiss this cold weather Bon Voyage...

Editor's Note: Yes - the steak is a little done for our tastes, but with the little one on the away, rare is not an option.


Hawaiian Ribeye Marinade

3/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup crushed pineapple, drained
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 2/3 cup low sodium soy sauce (you could use half soy/half teriyaki as well)
1 2/3 cup sugar
Splash of distilled white vinegar

In a saucepan, mix all the marinade ingredients. Place saucepan over the flame and bring to a boil. Cover with lid and let it simmer on low flame for an hour.

Remove from heat, place aside and allow to cool entirely. Take a glass baking dish and the steaks in it. Pour the marinade over it and refrigerate for about 4 hours.

Comments

  1. This sounds very similar to a marinade I use on pork, and I think it would also be great on chicken. I'm marking this to try soon. Thanks! Looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rib Eyes and this marinade looks fab!

    E.A.T.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment