Yucatan Shrimp

Back in the fall, the Husband & I flew down to Florida to visit my in-laws and attended the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.  While we had many (understatement of a lifetime) tasty treats at the Festival, one of our favorite dishes of the weekend was this one that my father-in-law made at their home.

This recipe was published in the New York Times, but is adapted from a dish served at Doc Ford's Sanibel Rum Bar & Grill on Sanibel Island.  My in-laws love Sanibel Island and Doc Ford's!


Shortly after our visit, my father-in-law was kind enough to send me the recipe which was great considering the Husband had mentioned me making it several times within a few days period!

Fast forward to Valentine's Day.  I love Valentine's Day - both of us do really. But we both HATE going out to dinner on Valentine's Day. Specific seating times, rushed service, limited menus? No thanks. We usually make a big romantic dinner in and we always are so glad we did. This year the appetizer and dessert were up to me. So back to the Yucatan Shrimp. I still hadn't made this dish and it hit me that this would be a great way to start off our meal.

This is beyond easy to make. I halved the amount shrimp, since there were only the two of us and I was making this as an appetizer. But, I actually made the full amount of sauce.  I did include the jalapeno, which the recipe lists as optional.  I was unable to find the Sambal Oelek but I did pick up Chile Garlic sauce, also made by Huy Fong.

Though this dish would be great as an entree served over rice, I served it as an appetizer. I rubbed some slices of sourdough baguette with garlic and toasted them up in the oven. I then spooned the shrimp and the sauce over top the bread. The result? Amazing!

This is spicy (but definitely not super spicy or over the top) and citrusy. The cilantro gives it a nice bite as well. The sauce is delicious and having the bread as a vehicle to absorb it is perfect!


Yucatan Shrimp

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large clove garlic, minced
Juice of two large limes
1 tablespoon Indonesian sambal (preferably sambal oelek, by Huy Fong, though sriracha will work as well)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pound large, fresh, shell-on shrimp
1 teaspoon jalapeño, seeded and chopped (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro.

In a small saucepan set over low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.

Add remaining 3 tablespoons butter to saucepan. When it melts, stir in the lime juice, chili sauce, salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and allow the sauce to rest.

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes or until they are just firm and pink. Do not overcook. Drain into a colander and shake over the sink to remove excess moisture.

In a large bowl, toss the shrimp and chili sauce. Add jalapeño, if desired, sprinkle with cilantro and toss again. Serves 4, messily.

Adapted from Greg Nelson at Doc Ford’s Sanibel Rum Bar and Grille, Sanibel Island, Fla.

Comments