Spinach Mushroom Enchiladas


I have to be honest.  This was probably one of the first vegetarian meals that I've ever had where I did not constantly think about the fact that it contained no meat.  It was that good.

This Taste of Home recipe is definitely a keeper in my book.

The Husband and I loved this meal.  And according to him, the leftovers were even delicious.  Actually, I'm craving these as I write this post!
The spinach and mushroom mixture really is filling .  The sauce is creamy and tangy. The cilantro and lime give it that brightness that is always amazing (in my book anyways).

The recipe is pretty straight forward.  And though it has a few steps, they are all very easy.

A few notes:
- I did not have seasoned salt. So everytime that was called for, I just threw in a dash of garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne and sugar.
- The recipe gives the option of using wine or chicken broth. I used a very dry Chardonnay.
- For the 1 1/2 cups of sour cream, I used low-fat sour cream.
- I added crushed red pepper flakes to the spinach mixture and to the sour cream mixture to give the dish extra heat.
- I used a Mexican blend cheese that contained Monterey Jack instead of soley Monterey Jack, due to what I found available in stores.  The benefit of using just Monterey Jack would be that it would blend into the color of the sauce.

Spinach Mushroom Enchiladas

1 pound baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
12 ounces chopped fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, divided
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
12 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Crushed red pepper flakes, optional

In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender; add garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Set aside half of the mushroom mixture for sauce.

Add wine to remaining vegetables; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add spinach and 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt; cook until spinach is wilted and liquid is evaporated.

In a large saucepan, bring the water, lime juice, chicken bouillon, garlic powder and remaining seasoned salt to a boil, stirring to dissolve bouillon. Stir in the sour cream, cilantro and reserved mushroom mixture; heat through.

Place a scant 3 tablespoons spinach mixture down the center of each tortilla; roll up and place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon sauce over top; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 14-18 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with pepper flakes, if desired.

Comments

  1. This had really good flavor, although I definitely over-salted the sauce. My only question is, how do you warm/soften the tortillas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda if you are having trouble rolling them without them ripping I would place them on a plate, cover them with a damp paper towel and microwave for 10 seconds. This should stop them from ripping at all. Hope that answers your question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The theme of your blog is very beautiful and the article is written very well, I will continue to focus on your article.

    cubensis spore syringe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment