Ginger-Lemon Bars with Almond Streusel

This is another one of those recipes that I've been hanging onto for awhile, just waiting for a time to make them.  I pulled this little gem from the April 2011 edition of Southern Living. 

My intention had been to make them during last year's football season. But at that time, our sweet little one was only 3 months old and getting her, myself and The Husband packed up for games was enough of a chore, without taking on new recipes.  There was always next season.

Fast forward, here we are in football season again (have I told you how much we love this time of year?!), and I hadn't forgotten about these.

We all really enjoyed them. They were a nice change from the typically heavy dessert bars that I make.  The ginger and lemon were very palate cleansing.  They were light and the perfect blend of sweet and that unmistakable bite you get from ginger.

A few notes:
- I could only find candied ginger, so I used that and rolled all the pieces in a little bowl of sugar (my version of crystallized).
- If you don't have a pastry blender or the right attachment for your stand mixer (I was at my parents house and they do not have one), use two butter knives and make criss cross motions through the mixture until everything is crumbly.
- Don't skip the powdered sugar garnish - they need that extra bit of sweetness!

Ginger-Lemon Bars with Almond Streusel

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold butter
3/4 cup slivered almonds
1 (10-oz.) jar lemon curd
3 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
Garnish: powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbly. Toss in almonds; reserve 1 cup flour mixture. Press remaining flour mixture onto bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.

Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Spread lemon curd over crust, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Sprinkle with ginger and reserved flour mixture. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Garnish, if desired.

Comments