Beer-Glazed Sausage and Apples

My inbox gets overwhelmed by recipe and beauty/health emails. So I'm working on weeding out the ones I don't care to receive anymore.  In doing that, I ran across an email from Better Homes & Garden touting "Brand New Fall Recipes".

This recipe got me right away - a delicious looking fall/winter recipe, that doesn't require braising for 8 zillion hours? Yes, please.

Well, while we both really liked this dish, the Husband chose this moment to share with me that he does not like cooked fruit. After being married for over 5 years, I had no clue. At the very least, I don't recall him ever mentioning that. So sorry Charlie. Nothing I could do now. And the apples were my favorite part of this dish!

If you have an anti-cooked fruit person in your family, you can do like I will next time. Just sub out the apples for very thinly sliced potatoes (or you could do half and half - but that would require using another pan). Obviously, not the same thing. And the potatoes won't give you that sweetness that you get from the apples. But that certainly is an option.

Some notes:
- I used about 1 1/4 teaspoons of crushed red pepper flakes. 1/2 teaspoon in with the beer to boil and then another 3/4 teaspoon into the brown sugar mixture for the sauce.
- I would use 3/4 lb of green beans next time. Note - this would require slightly more beer to accommodate the additional beans.
- I used Blue Moon (I'm not very knowledgeable about beers and that was the only beer I saw that specifically stated "Belgium-style wheat beer").  I definitely think you can play around with the beer. I would love to try using AleWerks Pumpkin Ale sometime.
- As I mentioned above, you could try subbing out the apples for potatoes. Just remember potatoes will need longer than apples to become tender.
- Don't hurry the browning of the sausage pieces.  The carmelization the browning produces is delicious.
- Same goes for the apples. Also be sure not to move them too much - I definitely did that and it resulted in my apples becoming tender before they'd had a chance to get some color on them.

Beer-Glazed Sausage and Apples

1 12 ounce bottle Belgium-style wheat beer
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 14 - 16 ounce package smoked sausage, such as kielbasa, cut in 3-inch pieces
1/2 pound fresh green beans
2 tablespoons butter
2 medium cooking apples, cored and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
8 small sage leaves

In a large saucepan combine 1/2 of the beer and the crushed red pepper; bring to boiling. Add sausage and green beans. Return to a simmer, cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain. Set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter; add apples. Cook, turning occasionally, until apples are just tender. Transfer to a platter.

Add sausage to skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides. Add to platter; cover. Drain fat from skillet.

Carefully add remaining beer to skillet (mixture may foam); stir to scrape up browned bits. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, brown sugar, cider vinegar, and orange peel. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, 5 to 6 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return sausage and green beans to skillet to coat in glaze. Fold in apples. Return to serving platter. Sprinkle with sage. Makes 4 servings.

Comments