Homemade Flour Tortillas

I've wanted a tortilla press for quite some time. We adore Mexican food (I could eat it every day!) and I hate buying store bought tortillas. For Christmas, my in-laws gave me a beautiful cast iron model that I was just itching to break in.

There is definitely not a shortage of tortilla recipes out there. There was also a recipe on the tortilla press box and one on the flour package - but both of those were corn and I wanted flour tortillas to go with the Wild Mushroom Queso Fundido I was making (recipe to come!).

After searching through what seemed like hundreds of recipes, I came across this easy and straight forward recipe on allrecipes.com.  This recipe is wonderfully simple. The tortillas were delicious, fresh and I could not believe how easy it was to make them.  If I can help it, I will never buy another package of store bought ones again!

A few notes:
- This recipe can easily be halved, doubled etc. I had no problems halving this.
- For lard (I hate that word btw!!!) I used leftover bacon drippings from that morning.  The writer of the recipe specifically says not to use vegetable oil or shortening for the lard.
- If you have a tortilla press, use that instead of a rolling pin and continue to follow the recipe as written.
- Whether using a rolling pin or tortilla press, keep in mind your tortilla thickness preference. These were going with a ooey, gooey queso so I wanted and would suggest a thicker tortilla. Also think about the size. I went small this time, but I would definitely go larger to accommodate fajita filling, etc.
- I used all-purpose wheat flour that I purchased at the Latino Market.
- If you have a non-stick griddle, use it! It is perfect for making these tortillas.

Homemade Flour Tortillas

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp lard
1 1/2 cups water

Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the lard with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.

 
Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla. (You can also use a tortilla press instead of manually rolling with a pin.)

My tortilla press ready for action! 

Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side. Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer; continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.

Comments

  1. Great idea - I detest store bought tortillas. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would the recipe work the same using my Kitchenaid mixer to mix the ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deborah - I thought about doing the same, but I worry that the mixer would over mix the dough making it tough. I think it's best just to use your fingers. It comes together pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks grublikeagirl! These were so easy and hands down made us swear off those store bought ones!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment