Ralph Brennan's Creole Crab Dip

Two years ago, the Husband and I helped organize an event at Ralph Brennan's New Orleans restaurant, Ralph's on the Park.  We loved the restaurant and even had the opportunity to meet the chef and restaurateur himself.  We also took home a signed copy of his Ralph Brennan's New Orleans Seafood Cookbook.  

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I was planning the Husband's Wine & Cheese 33rd Birthday Party. I knew I wanted to do a crab dip and immediately turned to Brennan's book. Well, when I went out grocery shopping, I quickly realized that I had left all of the ingredients for this dip off of my list. So a quick Google from my phone found me another of his crab dips (though not the original one I planned to make in his book).

If you love decadence, this dip is for you. If you love crab, this dip is also for you. If you like food at all, I can pretty much guarantee you are going to die over this.

This was out of this world delicious. So rich, creamy and decadent. The flavors of the goat cheese, shallots, butter, green onion, black pepper, Marscapone and crab form the perfect combination and balance.

This was by far the best crab dip I have ever had in my life.

A few notes:
- I love goat cheese, so I used probably closer to 3 1/2 ounces.
- I also seasoned the baguettes with garlic powder (along with the salt & pepper) before baking.
- You can use reduced fat cream cheese, but I would suggest not using fat free. This is meant to be rich and decadent (unfortunately, not diet food).
- Serve while hot! Seafood isn't so delicious when cold.

Ralph Brennan's Crab Dip

3 shallots, peeled and sliced
5 tbsp. butter (divided)
½ cup heavy whipping cream
11 oz. cream cheese (softened and divided)
3 tbsp. Marscapone cheese
½ cup chopped green onion
2 dozen baguette slices
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. crab meat
2 oz. goat cheese (crumbled)

Sauté shallots in 3 tbsp. melted butter in skillet over medium heat until tender. Add cream; simmer mixture until it reduces by two-thirds. Reduce heat to low; add 3 oz. cream cheese and Mascarpone cheese. Gradually stir in remaining cream cheese, until thickened. Add green onions; remove from heat. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush baguette slices with remaining butter, season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden. 

Heat cream cheese mixture over low heat. Gently fold crab meat into mixture; pour into a 1½ qt. baking dish or divide evenly among ramekins. Sprinkle with goat cheese. Broil on top rack of oven (6 in. from heat source) until cheese is melted and golden. 

Serve immediately with baguette slices or crudité.

Comments