Peach Ginger Salsa

My childhood summers were filled with peach cobblers and all things peach. We brought home paper bags full from local orchards and I remember being so excited for the piping hot cobbler my Mama would pull from the oven that night.

Though I rarely buy peaches now, and I am almost ashamed to admit that I've never made a peach cobbler myself (what kind of Southern woman am I?!?), memories of summers as a kid came rushing back when I came across this peach salsa recipe from Southern Living.

While fruit in salsa is nothing new, I'd never heard of ginger in a salsa, so that definitely intrigued me from the get go.  When I came across this recipe, I had already planned the menu for my daughter's 2nd birthday party (a Dora the Explorer Fiesta), but I knew this would be a great addition.

This salsa definitely did not disappoint.  It's hard to beat fresh summer peaches, and the cilantro, onion, jalapeno and salt were a great contrast that highlighted the sweetness of the peaches.  The ginger was unexpected and while not overpowering, there was no question that it was a star in this salsa.

We really loved this and I will definitely be making it again while peaches are still in season!

A few notes:
- In full blown party mode, I skipped over the whole saute first 4 ingredients and cook the peaches, etc. Nothing got cooked in my version, just combined and allowed time for marinating.
- Once all the ingredients were combined, we divided the salsa into 2 batches. Into one of the batches we added another jalapeno (not seeded) for heat. I would definitely recommend doing this if you have a mix of people with different heat tolerances.
- I added extra cilantro - probably another tablespoon (or two).

Peach Ginger Salsa

1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 large firm peaches, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Sauté first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in peaches and remaining ingredients, and cook, stirring gently, 5 minutes. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days.

Comments