Martha Stewart's Buttermilk Waffles

The Wife got me a Belgian waffle maker a while back.  No one has been a bigger beneficiary in our house than The Baby.  She loves these things.  I've tried several recipes, but the best, by far has been this recipe from Martha Stewart.

Especially for a weekday breakfast, it comes together quickly, so I can make it, and the waffles before leaving for work.  The batter also makes enough for 3-4 waffles, and keeps well in the fridge.  I usually make one waffle per day.

This is the perfect recipe for mornings with The Baby because she can help.  She loves to help stir everything together.  Surprisingly, she eschews syrup preferring to eat them "naked".

We first got her to eat waffles at a point when she was obsessed with donut holes - or as she calls the "hooooles".  I used to cut the waffles along the gridlines and tell her they were "squares" - hooooles cousin. She loved them, and eventually began eating the whole quarter.

Somewhere along the way, I picked up the tidbit that if you put a tablespoon of cornstarch in your waffle mix it makes the outside crisper.  That's the only modification I've made to Martha's recipe.  Another handy-dandy tip - if you don't have buttermilk, simply use regular milk and add a tablespoon (one per cup) of some kind of acid like vinegar or lemon juice and in 1-2 minutes, you'll have essentially buttermilk.  And don't worry, it won't take on the flavor of the acid.

Buttermilk Waffles

2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups Buttermilk
1 Stick of Unsalted Butter - Melted
2 Large Eggs

Place your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, salt) and whisk to combine.

In another bowl, whisk together your wet ingredients (buttermilk, eggs, butter.)

Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients and stir, just until combined.  With pancake and waffle batter you want it to still be lumpy, so don't over mix.  Make sure there aren't large clumps of flour clinging to the side of the bowl, but you don't want it to be smooth, either.

Spray your waffle maker with non-stick spray and ladle in your batter.  I find that about 2 1/2 ladles is enough for one waffle in my waffle maker.  3-5 minutes later, you'll be rewarded with waffles crisp on the outside; chewy and moist on the inside.

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. This is the perfect waffle recipe. Its the best that I've ever had. The corn starch does the trick.
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting. I wonder if you could substitute GF flour for regular flour??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried this recipe, it was a hit. My kids response "mmmm." Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been making this recipie on a regular basis since I first posted, but with a Gluten Free flour mix and have had extremely good success with it. I do have to add an extra 1/2 cup of buttermilk to it, and recently i've been adding one mashed banana and an extra egg for a little more nutrient. SO GOOD. I don't make flour ones anymore and these freeze AMAZING. Thank you so much for getting me started.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the really stunning. I knew in which how to grill with the waffle but it is so magnificent, You have made this sort of nice food with the waffle maker. I am about to try this in the home or I'm going tell my significant other to create the recipke the you earn it. I recently loved typically the pics to have shared earlier mentioned.
    Read here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice recipe - thank you for that… Remembers me at our time while our summer holidays in the alps

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we go through the commercial waffler, it is completely amicable in providing the state-of-the art- services within the food industry. This incorporates all the basic elements of the ordinary maker along with the aspects of the modern technological one. Find more at this website.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! The Belgian Waffles looks delicious. I wonder if I will ever be able to prepare delicious Belgian Waffles at home. As for now, I am traveling Belgium next week on Holiday Belgium Visa with some of my friends. I will surely try some of the chocolate & fruit based Belgian Waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a receipe, my aunt lives in Belgium, as soon as I get my visa for Belgium I will be visiting Beligum through Belgium Visa Uk and then will be making these for my Aunt, she will be impressed by me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment