Shredded Apple Pie


I got this recipe from my mama. She actually got the recipe from a local apple orchard when she chaperoned one of our elementary school field trips there.

I love this recipe because its different than the super dense, chunky apple pies that you usually see. Don't get me wrong - I love those too. But I have not come across any recipe for apple pie other than this one that calls for shredding the apples. Shredding the apples makes all of the difference. It keeps this pie very light. There is hardly any "filling" and the only crust is the pie shell making the apples almost a solo act.

Shredded Apple Pie

1 unbaked deep dish pie shell
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
5 or 6 large Golden Delicious or Stayman apples (I used 4 really large Virginia Staymans)
1/2 stick melted margarine or butter
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Fold in peeled and shredded apples (I use a food processor to shred). Mix melted butter with the egg and stir into apple mixture. Pour into the pie shell.

Bake 40-45 minutes or until pie is set and top is golden (it took me baking the pie for 1 hour and 10 minutes). Serve warm with ice cream.

Comments

  1. I am not a dessert person, but this is a fantastic pie! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment