Thyme Marinated London Broil with Horseradish Cream Sauce


This recipe comes via MyRecipes from AllYou. I had never head of AllYou before, but I came across this recipe and thought I would give it a whirl.

The thyme marinade gave the meat a wonderful slightly herbal flavor. And the horseradish cream sauce was perfect with it! I will say though, that I halved the ingredients for the sauce and I still had tons left over.

I have to admit I'm kind of proud of myself. Because, I must admit, this is the first time that I have ever cooked a piece of red meat (I mean other than ground beef or stew meat, etc). Hubby is our grillmaster and he usually cooks the red meat. We love our meat on the rare end of medium rare - and I cooked this perfectly! With the help of a digital meat thermometer. :)

Thyme Marinated London Broil with Horseradish Cream Sauce

Steak:
1 clove garlic
Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 2 tsp. dried (I used dried)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (2 lb.) piece London broil

Sauce:
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons bottled horseradish
Salt and pepper

Prepare steak: Combine garlic, thyme and soy sauce and oil in a small bowl. Place steak in a baking dish or a ziploc bag. Season steak with fresh ground pepper and sea salt. Pat pepper and salt into meat. Pour liquid marinade all over both sides of the meat. Turn several times to coat meat. Refrigerate, turning several times, for at least 3 hours and up to overnight.

Prepare sauce: Beat cream, sour cream, mustard, lemon juice and horseradish with an electric mixer until mixture forms stiff peaks. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into a chilled serving bowl, cover and refrigerate. (Sauce can be made up to an hour before serving.)

Preheat broiler to high and arrange rack 6 inches from heat source. Remove meat from marinade and pat dry; discard marinade. Broil on a broiling pan for 7 minutes. Turn meat over and broil 5 to 7 minutes longer. To check for doneness, test with the tip of a sharp knife. If juices run red, broil 1 or 2 minutes longer, until an instant-read thermometer reads 140°F (for medium-rare). Let steak rest on a cutting surface for 10 minutes. Working against the grain, cut into thin slices with a sharp knife. Serve with horseradish sauce on side.

Comments