Asian Slaw

It doesn't look the prettiest in the picture above. But, I can tell you that this Asian slaw is down right delicious and addictive.  Sweet, salty, crunchy - there are a lot of different flavors and textures and they form one heck of a combination.

I got this recipe from my sister-in-law after she made it for a bridal shower back almost 5 1/2 years ago.  I loved it then and for some reason, I just hadn't gotten around to making it until this summer for my daughter's 1st birthday (a Sesame Street cook-out!).

Everyone raved about it, as I knew they would. So, I decided to make it again for our first tailgate of this year's football season.  It was a hit again.

This is super easy to put together.  I love easy recipes like this that are slam dunks. While this was great for both a cook-out and a tailgate, it would also be wonderful served along side any protein for a week night dinner.

A few notes:
- The first time I made this I just used one huge package of green cabbage. Not the prettiest, as you can see above. The second time, I used a small package of green and a small package of red/purple.  The color really popped and I would highly suggest doing the same.
- Don't try to rush the 10-12 hours of refrigeration that this salad needs.  That allows the noodles to soften and absorb the flavors of the sauce.
- I used reduced sodium soy sauce and olive oil instead of vegetable oil.

Asian Slaw

2 diced green onions
1 large or 2 small bags of shredded cabbage
2 packs of Ramen Noodles (flavor packet discarded), broken into small pieces
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 vegetable oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar

Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Melt butter. Add ramen noodles, sunflower kernels and sliced almonds. Stirring frequently, cook until slightly brown.  Remove with a slotted spoon.

Combine the oil, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl to make the sauce. Whisk to combine.

Mix the crunchy mixture with the remaining ingredients.

Pour sauce over top and gently mix. 

Refrigerate for at least 10-12 hours.

Comments