Basil Pesto

When Hubby and I were at Trader Joe's on Sunday, I once again spotted the basil plants that I eye every time we go in there. I had resisted purchasing one up until then due to the fact that though God blessed me with many gifts, a green thumb was not one of them. Seriously. No exaggeration here. Anyways, I bought one.

Of course that meant finding lots of recipes that require basil (let's pretend this plant will last more than a week).

I found this recipe online at Simply Recipes.

Very simple and wonderful! I actually halved the recipe because there is only 2 of us and I did not want to have to freeze it. Hubby was making a crab and corn chowder, so I cut up a piece of focaccia and spread them with the pesto. Popped them in the oven on 400 degrees and they were amazing!

Basil Pesto
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts (I used walnuts)
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Special equipment needed: A food processor

Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.)

Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.

Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Makes 1 cup.

Comments