Walnut Red Pepper Dip

We call this red pepper hummus, but, it is really walnut red pepper dip. My mama made this one weekend we came in town in an effort to make healthier dips with all of us trying to be more healthy. It was fantastic and Hubby loved it too, so I knew I had to have the recipe. I have made it almost every week since then. It's very simple, and each batch lasts us most of the week.

The recipe is from Sunset magazine, from their December 07 issue. This is a light, but filling dip that I usually serve with strips of yellow, orange or red pepper. I have also done pita chips with this as well. The lemon juice keeps it bright, and the cumin adds a tad bit of underlying smokiness. Filling half of a bright colored pepper with this dip, also makes for pretty presentation.

I find that this dip is best served cold.

Enjoy!


Walnut Red Pepper Dip


2 cups shelled walnuts
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp sugar (I juse 1 tsp)
1/2 tsp salt
1 (12 oz) jar roasted red peppers, drained
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice

In a food processor, process walnuts, cumin, sugar and salt until walnuts are finely ground. Add peppers, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. Whirl until smooth.

Comments