Sweet Basil Smoothie

I am not a big smoothie person, but Hubby loves them (really anything in the ice cream/shake family), so I had seen this recipe from Giada De Laurentiis on the Food Network website and thought I would give it a try.

So glad I did, because this is a fantastic smoothie. Absolutely delicious. The lemon is bright and the basil gives it a nice kick. This is a great summer treat. I actually halved this recipe, which also meant halving the simple syrup and it worked out perfectly.

Sweet Basil Smoothie

1 1/4 cups plain yogurt (I used non-fat)
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 cups lemon simple syrup*
1 cup ice

In a blender, combine yogurt, basil, simple syrup and ice. Blend until smooth & frothy. Pour into frosted glasses & serve immediately.

Lemon Simple Syrup

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp lemon zest

In a small saucepan, combine water, sugar and lemon zest over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sugar has desolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool, about 20 minutes. Strain before using (I did not).

Comments