Green Beans and Walnuts with Lemon Vinaigrette


This is a super easy recipe that I cut out of my November 2009 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. It was in their Thanksgiving recipes section. I love green beans, as does the Hubby, but I did not grow up having green beans at Thanksgiving supper. We ate green beans alot just not then.

My grandmother on my dad's side makes some of the best greens you've ever put in your mouth. But of course, hers are cooked ALL DAY. And cooked in LARD. So needless to say, I don't have all day to cook them and I don't really keep lard laying around in jars. Just saying. Anyways, this recipe jumped out at me because of the super quick cooking time and for me, the walnuts and lemon would be a new twist on green beans.

The recipe could not have been simpler. And the result was a very tasty side. The toasted walnuts gave the beans some richness, while the lemon and dijon mustard gave it a distinct tang and brightness. The lemon peel adds beautiful color to this dish.

Note: The original recipe actually calls for 2 tablespoons of minced shallot instead of the dried minced onion. However, Hubby does not like raw onion, shallot, etc. so I had to nix that. I'm sure the shallot would be just as good if not better and would add another pretty color to the finished product.

Green Beans & Walnuts with Lemon Vinaigrette

1 lemon
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
2/3 cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped

Remove peel from lemon with vegetable peeler and cut into very fine strips. Cut lemon in half. Squeeze enough juice to measure 2 tablespoons; transfer to small bowl. Whisk in mustard, then oil and dried onion. Season with salt and pepper.


Cook green beans in pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain; pat dry.

Combine beans, walnuts, and lemon peel strands in large bowl. Add dressing; toss to coat. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Comments