Restaurant Review: BLT Steak

Here in Richmond, I'd say the best steaks can be found at Buckhead's and Ruth's Chris. In Charlotte I would have said Sullivan's or Ruth's Chris. But there's a new player, and that's BLT Steak. BLT Steak is one of famous chef Laurent Tourondel's B(istro)LT outposts in the new Ritz Carlton.

BLT Steak is definitely an upscale steakhouse, but, without the steakhouse feel. And I think that's a great thing. It's very modern and sexy. Though it's not a small restaurant, it has a very intimate feel.

We had reservations, for which I am extremely grateful, because when we arrived the place was packed and it seemed like every table was filled except for the one at which we were seated. We had a great seat in the back of the restaurant that offered more privacy that alot of the other tables in the restaurant.

Upon being seated we were brought pate and giant gruyere popovers. My sister and I don't like pate, but my mom said it was excellent. The popovers were to die for. They truly were giant - and so fluffy and buttery. Wow. The popovers are accompanied with a little tag that has the recipe for them, if that tells you anything. I'm going out to buy a popover pan this weekend.

The wine list is a very good size. Wine prices are a bit higher, but not that bad considering BLT is an upscale steakhouse.

For our appetizers, we ordered the tuna tartare and the beefsteak salad. Presentation on both was impressive, as was the flavor. Both were good portions - more than enough for three people to split the two.

Entrees were all filets with Horseradish Sauce & Roquefort Sauce (they give you a choice of about 6 or 7 sauces to choose from). Those filets were melt in your mouth phenomenal. Probably the best steak I have ever put in my mouth. I like my steaks medium rare - and I like to have a seared outside that gives a bit of a crust to the steak. BLT hit the nail on the head. The filets were served in cast iron dishes and the sauces came on the side.

Sides are ala carte. We ordered the grilled asparagus and the brussell sprouts. Now, I am not typically a brussell sprouts fan. I've had them several times before and never like them. But, my sister having been to a BLT said they were out of this world, so I went along with ordering them. Boy, am I glad I did. They were absolutely fantastic. The asparagus was good too, but not like the brussell sprouts were. The brussells were carmelized and chock full of flavor. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. Bot were served in small cast iron dishes and were good portion sizes.

For dessert, we ordered a crepe. I remember it being delicious, but in all honesty, I don't exactly remember what kind of crepe it was.

Our server was excellent. Very attentive without being overbearing. He even walked my mom out to the bathroom in the lobby of the hotel - which I considered to be going above and beyond. We had told him we were not in a rush and he was wonderful about giving us ample time before checking to see if we were ready to order our next course.

I definitely hope to return here and I can't wait to try Tourondel's other restaurants (BLT Prime, BLT Fish, etc.).

Comments

  1. where is this in richmond? i went to the one in DC and it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually in Charlotte. Attached to the new Ritz Carlton - across from the Epicentre. I definitely hope to try the DC one out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! thanks! sad, i would have loved to see one in RIC!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment