Royal Icing


Okay, so here was the finished product. In the end, they turned out well. But that was probably 8 hours later and 2 different recipes later.

I started with Martha Stewart's recipe for Royal Icing. I love Martha. But I don't have a clue as to what happened with this. I followed the recipe to a T. And yet somehow instead of the icing yielding 2-3 cups, it produced like 6 cups. And that 6 cups of icing was hardly pipeable. So I threw away the massive amounts of glob and I started over again.

This time I used an amazing tutorial by the Brown Eyed Baker. I used the Royal Icing recipe that she suggests and I followed her very clear, step by step directions. What a life saver! You can find her tutorial here. I highly recommend reading this before starting to decorate your cookies.

I played around using different types of sugars and sprinkles. I also stacked cookies as you can see in the photo above. Once I got into it, it got easier and easier and I was able to have fun with it. I am really looking forward to decorating my next batch of cookies.

Royal Icing

4 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons meringue powder
6 tablespoons water

Mix all ingredients on low speed for 7-10 minutes or until the icing loses its shine. Add more water by the teaspoon if it appears too stiff. At this stage you want to be able to pipe it easily.

Comments