Roasted Green Cabbage Wedges

I like cabbage. Hubby, well let's just say he gave me one of those skeptical looks when I told him I was making cabbage as a side to a BBQ Mango Tilapia a made the other night (recipe to come!). He didn't really grow up eating vegetables like I did. So there are some vegetables he loves but quite a few that he wrinkles his nose at! But I'd seen this recipe in my Martha Stewart Living magazine and I knew I wanted to try making cabbage this way. Typically, growing up my mama would sauté it or my grandma would use it for her amazing cabbage rolls.

I can tell you that Hubby had finished off most of the cabbage before he even touched the fish. This method cooking cabbage blows any other out of the water - in my opinion. Roasting it gave it a rich, carmelized flavor and the lemon finish gave it just the zing it needed.

Roasted Green Cabbage Wedges
adapted from Martha Stewart Living

1 small head green cabbage (about 2 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 wedges, core intact (I used 1/2 small cabbage)
1 1/2 tsps extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
Coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 lemon, cut into wedges

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Arrange cabbage on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush both sides of wedges with oil. Season each side with garlic, salt and pepper.

Roast, flipping halfway through, until edges are brown and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes. Squeeze lemons over cabbage.

Comments