Pimiento Cheese with a Kick

It's funny how tastes change over time. Growing up, and even up until last year, I hated pimiento cheese. Hated the texture mostly, but also wasn't a big fan of the taste either.

Then last April, Hubby & I and another couple took a long weekend trip down to Charleston. The last day of our trip, we had brunch at Magnolia's. Our table decided to order pimiento cheese as one of our starters. Needless to say I was less than thrilled, but as always, I was willing to try a bite (if anything, just to passify Hubby). Well, I was shocked. I loved it. Seriously, I was hooked. It wasn't slimy. It was thick and chunky, and a little bit spicy.

So, this is my version of that Southern staple. Enjoy!

Pimiento Cheese with a Kick

1 4oz jar diced pimentos
1 cup 2% milk shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup 2% milk shredded mexican blend cheese
1/2 cup olive oil mayo
1 small or 1/2 large jalapeno peppers, diced (seeds removed optional)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
salt, to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients until well combined. Chill 2 hours.

Comments

  1. Yes - tastes do change as you get older!

    You have a great blog - can't wait to see what else you are cooking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the same way. I hated pimento cheese until I was in my 20s! Now I love it! Harris Teeter has awesome Pimento Cheese. We also have some that is sold in some of the grocery stores in the Charleston area called Palmetto Cheese that is great, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment