Roasted Fennel and Green Bean Relish


Hubby & I love green beans. I'm always looking for new recipes. So when I happened to watch Emeril make this recipe back during the holidays on his Firehouse Thanksgiving special, I knew I had to try it out.

This recipe incorporates fennel, which I'm also a big fan of and seemed to be a very popular/hot ingredient in 2009.

This is an easy recipe that has tons of flavor and is a great way to dress up green beans. It's a great side to any kind of poultry or pork, it would even be great with fish.

Roasted Fennel & Green Bean Relish

1 large bulb fennel (about 1 pound), trimmed and thinly sliced
2 cups thinly sliced onions
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound tiny fresh green beans, blanched in boiling water for 1 minute, then shocked in a cold-water bath

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Put the fennel and onions in a roasting pan. Add the olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss to coat evenly. Roast until soft and lightly browned, about 1 hour, tossing once or twice. Let cool.

Combine the fennel mixture with the beans and toss to mix. Serve at room temperature.

Comments