Rosemary Lemon Cookies

I have a problem. I'm not good about menu planning. At all. And then I end up buying all kinds of fresh herbs that I only use a little of and then they go bad before I get around to using them again. So, I'm resolving to be better about this. Starting now.

Right now I have Rosemary, Parsley, Tarragon and Mint that need to be used. Recipes welcome :)

A sweet neighbor of ours surprised us with lasagna Monday night. And not just lasagna - roasted broccoli, garlic bread, meatballs, sausages and spaghetti sauce. Amazing, right?

I needed to return her containers to her and I wanted to take her a little sweet something as well. Back to that extra Rosemary I had. I did a Food Blog Search and came across this recipe on Peter Bakes.

This was an incredibly easy recipe that turned out to be delicious. The rosemary and the lemon are fantastic in these little shortbreadish cookies. They aren't too sweet either - just right. The sugared edges give these cookies a little bit of that crunch that makes every bite even more tasty than the one before - and makes them pretty darn addicting!

Rosemary Lemon Cookies

1 c (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
3/4 c sugar (I used Splenda)
1 egg and 1 egg white (for brushing)
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 1/4 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
Coarse sugar for rolling

 Bbeat the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer or with a spoon until pale, light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until well blended. add the rosemary, lemon zest, salt and flour and mix well.

Divide the dough in half and shape them into logs and place on a piece of parchment paper. Roll the logs about 1 1/2″ in diameter. Chill in the fridge or freezer for at least an hour (more is fine).

Preheat the oven to 375F. Take the logs out of the fridge, brush with egg white and roll in sugar. Cut the logs into 1/4″ slices and place on a parchment covered baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. cool on a wire rack before eating.

Comments