Mama Chang's Stir-Fried Shrimp & Scallions

By now, I think everyone knows of my love for Food & Wine magazine. I mean, who doesn't love food? And, wine? Well, this couple definitely enjoys a glass (or bottle) of wine.

Did I mention Hubby gave up wine for Lent? Yes, he's crazy I know. But, at least it's for a good reason.

Anyways, I found this shrimp recipe on their website. This was super simple. Not to mention very easy. I made a few changes (very small changes) to the original recipe to suit our tastes better. I also made some brown rice and mixed this into the final product, instead of serving the shrimp over the rice.

Hubby loved this - not only did he inhale his plate, but got to work on my leftovers as well. Only criticism? It could've been spicier. Nothing new there. As for me, I liked the spice level just fine and was a fan of the overall flavor of the dish.

Mama Chang's Stir-Fried Shrimp & Scallions

1 1/2 pounds shelled and deveined large shrimp
3 garlic cloves, sliced
One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 - 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper (depending on heat preference)
1 large egg white
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon sugar (I used Splenda)
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 cup canola oil
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
 
In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the garlic, ginger, red pepper, egg white and 1 teaspoon of the cornstarch until well-coated.

In a medium bowl, whisk the ketchup with the broth, sugar, pepper, salt and the remaining 1 teaspoon of cornstarch.

In a very large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the shrimp and stir-fry over high heat until they begin to turn pink. Add the ketchup mixture and simmer until the shrimp are cooked, about 2 minutes. Stir in the scallions and cilantro and serve.

Comments