Tarragon Chicken Salad

I'm really funny about my chicken salad, very particular you could say. There are very few chicken salads that I can say I actually really like. But, I loooove the tarragon chicken salad from Christopher's RunAway Gourmay carts.

We had tarragon leftover from the Bistecca Con Salsa delle Erbe Hubby made awhile back and I wanted to use it up before it went bad. I found the basic recipe for this over at the blog Framed.  I made a few changes to lighten up the recipe and I also added grapes.

Not surprisingly the tarragon is delicious in this salad. I love how the tarragon works with the grapes.  The walnuts also give a wonderful crunch to this salad. The ratio of mayo and sour cream is right on.

I spooned the salad over half of one of those 100% whole wheat 100 calorie thin sandwich buns and it was perfect!

Tarragon Chicken Salad

2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded

1/4 cup light or fat free sour cream
1/4 cup olive oil mayo
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup red seedless grapes, chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon (or 1/2 tablespoons dried, if you must.)
Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

Mix together sour cream and mayo. Add tarragon, walnuts & chicken. Mix well.  Gently mix in grapes. Season with salt and pepper.

Comments

  1. I tried this, but it didn't taste anything like what we remember as Christopher's chix salad. Several batches later, this is what my family thinks is the closest:

    4 Chicken breasts (Instant pot + garlic + chicken stock, shredded with a hand mixer)
    Mayo (to consistency) (don't sub avocado or sour cream)
    1 tbs Dijon mustard
    Splash chicken stock (creaminess)
    1/2 lemon juiced (acidity balances out the flavors, very important)
    1 1/2 tsp tarragon (dried, Christopher's doesn't use fresh)
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    Salt (to taste)
    Pepper (to taste)
    1/2 cup golden raisins (don't sub regular the taste profile is different)

    There are only four observable ingredients in Christopher's: chicken, mayo, dried tarragon and golden raisins. I didn't have any celery seasoning, but I am sure it would enhance the flavor if used in moderation. Also, instead of dijon mustard, ground mustard could be used, again in moderation.

    If you make our version, please let me know what you think.

    Till I can make it back to RVA, this'll have to do! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment