Welcome to our website !

Paprika Chicken

By 12:28 PM , ,

Holy smokes! I sat down this morning to write this post and realized its been 20 days since we posted anything on here. In our defense, August has been crazy! We spent 3 days in San Diego for work and came home for about 6 hours and then have been in St. Maarten for the past 10 days (don't worry - we'll be doing some restaurant reviews soon!).

I actually made this dish right before we left for San Diego, and it was a real winner with both of us. I took a recipe for a pork version of this out of a cookbook The Big Book of One Pot that the Husband had picked up a year or so ago, and adapted it to our tastes.

This is a great weeknight meal. It's pretty hearty and comforting, and so while I made it at the beginning of August, it is more suited for the Fall or Winter.  The paprika actually gives this meal a good punch of flavor and spice.  The sour cream (and I used fat free) creates a creaminess that gives the dish richness.

I served this in bowls over brown rice. White rice, polenta or mashed potatoes would also work well, but you definitely need some kind of carb/starch to soak up the sauce.

Paprika Chicken

1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins, cut into bite size pieces
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 1/4 tbsp paprika
2 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups chicken stock
4 tbsp Marsala, dry sherry or dry white wine
6 oz button mushrooms, sliced
2/3 cup light of fat free sour cream
salt & pepper, to taste

Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet or pan.  Add the chicken and cook over medium heat, stirring for 5-6 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.

Add the chopped onion to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until softened.  Stir in the paprika and flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.  Gradually stir in the stock and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

Return the chicken to the pan. Add the Marsala/sherry/white wine and mushrooms.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Stir in the sour cream and serve.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hi! You had posted on my blog "Finding Delicious" so I wanted to check yours out! It seems like we have many of the same interests: Ina and Martha are two of my favs. I used to pretend I was Martha Stewart when I was super small. This recipe looks tasty and also transformable for other cultures. I might add a few Indian spices like clove and cinnamon sticks.

    ReplyDelete