Chicken with Prosciutto & Sage

It dawned on me this weekend that it'd been FOREVER since I made a Martha Stewart recipe.  Not surprising when you consider that I have so many recipes bookmarked on my computer, even more print outs - and that's not even addressing the zillion cookbooks we have in boxes in our garage. I think I might have an addiction.

In all seriousness, there are so many recipes I want to try, but simply not enough dinners and weekend lunches for me try them all out - especially at the rate I find new ones.  The Husband often asks me (in a knowing the answer already kind of voice) if I'm ever going to make a recipe again.... And the truth? Well, no, not in the near future anyways.

But back to Martha.  I really am a big fan of hers. So I went perusing on her website for a simple, but flavorful weeknight meal and came across this recipe from a 2004 edition of Everyday Food.


I knew I had pretty much everything for this recipe on hand, so this was an automatic winner.  I actually didn't have prosciutto, but I had black peppered bacon, which would work just fine.

The chicken was very easy to assemble and cook - though my chicken took a good while longer to cook than the directions state.  The sage and bacon/prosciutto are a great combination.  The sauce is excellent - very savory and rich tasting.  It was amazing served over a bed of mashed potatoes! The sauce definitely needs to be sopped up by a starch, and I don't think you can find a better option that mashed potatoes (or even mashed cauliflower would work!). Also, I halved the recipe since it was just the two of us.

We both loved this simple meal - especially The Husband!

Chicken with Prosciutto & Sage

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Coarse salt and ground pepper
4 fresh whole sage leaves, plus 4 minced leaves
4 (6 to 8 ounces each) chicken cutlets
4 slices (3 ounces) thinly sliced prosciutto (I used bacon)
4 teaspoons olive oil
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup reduced-sodium canned chicken broth
1 tablespoon cold butter

In a shallow bowl, stir together flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.

Lay 1 sage leaf lengthwise on each cutlet, then wrap a prosciutto slice around middle of each cutlet, encasing sage. Flatten with the palm of your hand to help prosciutto adhere to the chicken. Dredge cutlets in seasoned flour; tap off excess.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Cook 2 cutlets until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove cutlets, and keep warm. Repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and 2 cutlets.

Add wine and broth to skillet; cook over high heat until reduced by three-quarters, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool 1 minute. Add butter and minced sage; stir until butter is melted, about 30 seconds. Spoon sauce onto plates; top with cutlets. Serve immediately.


Comments