Cook This, Not That Spicy Potato Skins

This is the second recipe I've made from the Cook This, Not That book and I was equally pleased with it as I was the Butternut Ravioli with Sage Brown Butter we made back at the end of the summer.

This recipe is their lightened-up alternative to T.G.I. Friday's Half Order of Loaded Potato Skins which have 1,310 calories! This recipe is 310 calories, for a saving of 1,000 calories - and actually, with several of the changes I made due to items we had on hand, it's less than that!

These potato skins were delicious and definitely tasted like we were indulging in something laden in fat and calories! Which, thankfully, they we were not.

Rubbing the outside of the potatoes with a light coating of olive oil and sea salt really gives the skin a wonderful crunch, which is a nice contrast to the creamy filling.  I love the spiciness and smokiness that the adobo adds to these as well. 

The recipe is very easy to follow and the changes I made were using 1% milk (it's what we had on hand) instead of 2% milk, reduced fat sour cream instead of regular sour cream and I added 1 tbsp (instead of the called for 1/2 tbsp) of chopped chipotle to the sauce and also mixed in another 1 tbsp of chipotle into the actual filling of the potatoes (we like spice!).  I've noted my changes in italics below.

Spicy Potato Skins

4 small russet potatoes
Olive oil
Salt (I used sea salt) and black pepper to taste
1 cup 2% milk
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish (I used 2% milk shredded sharp cheddar)
4 scallions, chopped, plus more for garnish
1/2 Tbsp minced chipotle pepper (I used 2 tbsps, divided)
1/4 cup sour cream (I used reduced fat sour cream)
6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
Pickled Jalapenos, optional

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Rub the potatoes with a bit of olive oil and lightly salt the skins. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until tender.

Cut the potatoes in half and, when cool enough to handle, carefully scoop out the warm flesh into a bowl (leave a thin layer of potato intact around the skin to help prevent it from tearing). Add the milk, butter, cheese, (1 tbsp of chopped chipotle pepper) and scallions and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

Preheat the broiler. Carefully scoop the mashed potatoes into the hollowed-out potato halves. Top with a bit of extra cheese and place under the broiler until the tops are brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes.

Mix the (remaining) chipotle with the sour cream and place a dollop on top of each cooked potato. Finish each with a bit of crumbled bacon and jalapenos.

Comments

  1. I've never tried making potato skins at home, these look great! Love the addition of chipotle peppers - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these minus the chipotle's and my wife didn't believe me that they were "diet food." This is a definite winner

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really are great - I love being able to "indulge" without feeling guilty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment