Roasted Red Potato Salad

I need another potato salad recipe like I need a whole in the head. The problem is, I just keep coming across recipes that look amazing. I know potato salad is one of those black or white things - people tend to love it or hate it.

I really believe though that the people that hate it, only hate it because they haven't actually had good potato salad. I love potato salad, but even I gag at the nasty thick mayonnaise-laden ones.

This is definitely not one of those. This Southwestern flavored potato salad is delicious and chock full of flavor.  It is also colorful and my pictures snapped quickly from my iPhone, don't even begin to do it justice.

There's a lot more to this than just potatoes. Corn, red onion, red peppers and chilies add great texture. Smoked paprika imparts delicious smokiness, while cilantro gives it that peppery bite.

With Spring just around the corner, this would be a great addition to any bbq, picnic, etc. Though after tasting, you definitely won't need a reason to make this.

A few notes:
- I used reduced fat cream cheese in place of regular cream cheese.
- I also used low fat sour cream instead of regular sour cream. You could also use fat free.
- I added some additional cilantro, probably in total closer to 1/2 a cup. That's just a personal preference. I think cilantro really livens things up and it is perfect in this potato salad
- I didn't quarter the red potatoes, I cut them into small squares.

Roasted Red Potato Salad

2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro

Toss potatoes with oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper;
place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at
400° for 30-35 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Cool
slightly.

For dressing, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sour cream until
smooth. Stir in the chilies, paprika, garlic powder and remaining
salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, combine the corn, onion, red pepper and potatoes.
Add 1 cup dressing and cilantro; toss to coat.

Comments

  1. Potato salad w/ cream cheese, I am so hooked already and I haven't even tried it, this sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment