Hot Spinach & Artichoke Dip (Skinny)

There are probably a zillion Spinach and Artichoke Dip recipes out there.  I've had some delicious ones and we've made some that have been big hits. I love it slathered on baguette, paired with pita chips, crudite, fritos and bagel chips - however served, most people tend to love this dip.

I made the Cook This, Not That Spinach Dip a couple of years ago that earned raves, but when I came across an even "skinnier" version that contained Greek yogurt on Skinnytaste, it was a must make.

This is a great football season recipe.  Who doesn't love the idea of one of their favorite dips lightened up?

I never know how a "skinny" recipe is going to turn out, how it is going to measure up to the full fat version.  I find that if I go into it with no expectation of it tasting like the original, I tend to be a lot more satisfied.  Expectations aside, this really was delicious.

It was light and tangy, unlike some of the really rich versions with tons of cream cheese or cream.  The tanginess comes from the Greek yogurt.  The Greek yogurt, light mayo and mozzarella give the dip just enough creaminess to satisfy. The Parmigiano Reggiano imparts a nuttiness that is delicious against the garlic and shallots.  I also added a little nutmeg and crushed red pepper flakes (my go-tos for spinach).

A few notes:
- I added extra garlic - a total of about 3 cloves.
- This can be made ahead of time, just add a few more minutes to the cooking time.
- As I mentioned above, I added nutmeg and crushed red pepper flakes.  I would definitely encourage ya'll to do the same.  Add a little and taste, repeat if necessary.  This is definitely a preference thing.

Hot Spinach & Artichoke Dip

13.75 oz artichoke hearts packed in water, drained
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
2/3 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
4 oz shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
salt and fresh pepper to taste
olive oil spray
crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
freshly grated nutmeg, to taste

Preheat oven to 375°.

In a small food processor, coarsely chop the artichoke hearts with the garlic and shallots.

Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Place in an oven-proof dish and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes, until hot and cheese is melted. Serve right away.

Can be made one day in advance and stored in the refrigerator before baking. Makes about 3 3/4 cups.

Comments

Post a Comment