Hot and Sour Cabbage

Unlike many of my past New Year's resolutions, this year's "food resolution" of getting more creative with side dishes has actually been pretty successful. 

The last time I made cabbage was Martha Stewart's Roasted Cabbage Wedges and that was about two years ago. When I came across this Emeril recipe, I knew this would be right up our alley and would work perfectly with a number of entree recipes I've had on hand.

Both the Husband and I loved this cabbage.  It was extremely flavorful - which with cabbage many times ending up "blah", this was an unexpected - but welcome surprise.

It was easy to make and for me, that's a must when it comes to side dishes during hectic weeknights.

I made this recipe as is, so no notes (for once) for me kids! :)

Hot and Sour Cabbage

1 head (1 1/2 pounds) Napa cabbage
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
One 1-inch slice of fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chili paste
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Wash cabbage, remove and discard outer leaves. Thinly shred remaining cabbage. In a wok bring oil to smoking point over high heat. Add the ginger slice and stir fry 1 minute, discard ginger. Add cabbage and stir fry for 1 minute. Add chile paste, stock, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil. Reduce the heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Serve topped with crushed pepper flakes and sesame seeds.

Comments

  1. Food product choice is overwhelming as well as TV commercials and print advertisements that want to sell their food products. Who to believe? How to choose? Do you trust what is shown to you? Obviously, it’s up to each of us to decide what we eat but if we’re constantly bombarded with images of food every time we pick up a magazine then we’re going to be swayed in what we choose but www.gourmandia.com is the only one site that really gives the satisfaction of parent like me. I trust this site and as well as other sites that are related on Gourmandia.com.
    This blog is certainly admirable, I enjoyed reading it, and because of its content that you’ll not get bored reading and also the piece is very helpful for us like the articles on www.blog.gourmandia.com. Most of the blogs gives recipes that I’ve tried and all of them were absolutely tasty. In addition, www.gourmandia.com also has lot of great cooking recipes and that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment