Green Goddess Potato Salad

Once I find a good recipe for something, I usually get in a rut and always want to make that. For instance, I have my go-to baked bean recipe and in the case of potato salads, I also had found this winner from The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern cookbook. 

Now we all know how much I love that cookbook.  Every single recipe has been a winner.  Well, just a few pages before that Curry New Potato Salad was this Green Goddess Potato Salad, featuring a beautiful full page picture beside the recipe.  I'm a sucker for pretty pictures.

An opportunity presented itself for me to make this when we were having a cook-out and I had already planned some side dishes with very intense flavors.  I wanted something a little lighter and this came to mind.

I know you don't usually equate potato salad with light, but this one actually is.  It is bright and tangy from the lemon and vinegar.  You don't pick up the mayo and it almost tastes as though it is sour cream based.  The herbs are the stars here, but in no way are they overwhelming. They also stand out beautifully against the red potatoes and the creamy dressing.

This is another stellar recipe from the Lee Bros. and I will definitely be adding it to my potato salad rotation!

A few notes:
- This recipe can easily be doubled/tripled, etc.  I doubled it with no problems at all.
- My mayo of choice (or I should say the Husband's) is Duke's.  Cheap mayo can wreck a dish like this. 
- I used reduced fat sour cream.
- Do NOT omit or skimp on the tarragon. This makes this potato salad!
- Not wanting to deal with whole anchovies, I used anchovy paste.

Green Goddess Potato Salad

2 tbsp plus 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
2 1/2 lbs small red potatoes, peeled & cut into quarters
1/2 cup high-quality mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup finely chopped scallion (white & green parts)
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
2 anchovy fillets, minced or 1/2 tsp anchovy paste (optional)
1 tbsp white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste

Fill a 4 quart stockpot half full with water, add 2 tbsp of the salt and the potatoes, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.  Cook until just fork-tender but cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes.

While the potatoes cook, mix the mayo, sour cream, scallions, parsley, tarragon, anchovies/paste, vinegar, lime juice, remaining 1 tsp salt and the black pepper together in a large bowl.

Drain the potatoes well and add them to the bowl; toss with the dressing.  Season to taste with salt and black pepper. 

Let stand for 15 minutes at room temperature (as the salad loses its heat, it will absorb the dressing).  Serve at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days before serving.

Comments

  1. Wow! I have to add this to my potato salad rotation. A local restaurant makes a killer Green Goddess dressing for salad that has brought that old classic to my attention recently. Never thought to use it on potato salad; many thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment